Monday, April 30, 2012

Movie Review: Hatchet [2006]

Please note- before I officially begin this review, I'd like to point out that I will be in fact use pictures and GIFs from the movie in this review [so there are many spoilers]: If you still wish to read the review, it is found below. I just thought I'd clarify before I begin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hatchet is one of those movies I like for many reasons. It’s a horror, Victor Crowley is a kick-ass villain ♥, It’s got some famous horror actors like Robert Englund [Freddy Krueger] and Kane Hodder [Jason Voorhees] and the movie over all has a lot of comedy to help move the story along. [What more could you possibly need?] Now, the one thing I like about Hatchet the most is that there is no CGI. So in other words, every kill scene [and there is a lot of them], every blood splatter, everything… is not computer generated. :)
http://i.imgur.com/BHUKu.gif
[See? Even Charlie Day agrees..and no one fucks with Charlie Day.]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The plot of the movie is [as IMDB puts it]:
“When a group of tourists on a New Orleans haunted swamp tour find themselves stranded in the wilderness, their evening of fun and spooks turns into a horrific nightmare.”

Now, as stated before- There is absolutely no CGI in this movie. which no doubt makes a lot of horror fans happy. [this includes me] Let me explain why; by asking a question. Have you ever watched a horror movie, and found yourself to be very disappointed by the look of the monster/alien/bad guy in general? Have you ever been so disgusted by how terrible the Special Effects of a movie were- primarily because of said monster?

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/sshark-356x500.jpg
[I'm looking at you- SUPERSHARK.]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's what some like to call: the bad CGI. Don't get me wrong- sometimes CGI can be used in a good way. It can help bring along a scene, or sometimes it's used to make a scene happen that otherwise would be deemed impossible. For the most part however, I actually despise CGI, [unless it's meant to poke fun] & yet movie makers still use their computers to make certain scenes. [although 3/4 times- it doesn't work to their advantage..] This is where Hatchet is completely different. Hatchet actually features NO CGI.. Like none at all. Hatchet is actually a campy fun film for horror fans, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. I also want to point out that although it shares the same title- this particular Hatchet is not the same story you had to read in grade school. [Figured I'd clear that up- as some people have asked me that..]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[See for yourself- This was all make up and props.. NO CGI]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Now, there is also a Hatchet II that was released last year ago-ish, and unfortunately; I still haven't seen it. When I do however, I will write a review- because for those of us who HAVE seen Hatchet: The story is beautiful, the acting is plain awesome, and you can't go wrong when there is no CGI. [Until then, here's a small GIF from Hatchet II- below]

No comments:

Post a Comment